What is THIR? A review of the multifunctional headwear piece.
What is THIR? Well, That’s How I Roll….
By Kellie Emmerson, Ultra Distance Trail Runner and She Science Ambassador.
The best thing that I love about running is it’s inclusivity. All walks of life can engage in the activity because it’s free. The old, the young, the big, the small, the rich and the poor. You don’t really need anything but a set of legs that will take you where you want to go. But as we get more enthusiastic we start collecting more gear and we start to get more technical about it. The lowest-drop runners, the lightest clothes, the best sports bras, the most effective compression.
One of my essential pieces of gear, however, goes back to basics. It is called a THIRband, more commonly known as ‘multi-functional headwear.’
WHAT IS IT?
A simple, tubular piece of fabric. It is made of Enduracool- a microfiber fabric with moisture wicking properties designed to keep you cool in the heat and thermal properties that keep you warm in the cold.
The best part is that the bands come in a wide range of bold colours to funk up every outfit!
HISTORY OF THIR:
A New Zealand based company, with distribution in Australia by THIR Australia (thir.com.au). The company has a strong focus on the outdoor sports community, sponsoring a number of trailrunning events in Australia, such as the Surf Coast Trail Marathon and the Wonderland Run, and countless others in New Zealand. They have recently been involved in making custom bands for White Ribbon, with a large proportion of sales going to the charity. They have also commenced making custom bands for local running groups, with significant contributions going back into the clubs.
WHAT TO DO WITH IT?
This diagram shows the diverse range of different ways a Thir can be worn.
My most common uses are however:
– As a headband to keep my ears warm on those cold mornings or on the highest peaks.
– As an eye mask when travelling. Also helps to hold ear plugs in.
– Hot climates– I ran a race on the Sunshine coast in November last year. I definitely wasn’t used to the heat or humidity, but a THIR dunked in iced water and then wrapped around my neck was THE BEST THING EVER!
– Sweat band– wrap it around your wrist. Fairly self explanatory.
– Face mask:
- When travelling – believe it or not, my THIR came in handy when a moth jumped on a plane and they had to spray the entire cabin with an insecticide. Not ideal race prep!
- When running- If it is really cold, the THIRband can help to warm up the air before entering your lungs, making breathing more efficient. I have also come across areas in the bush where they have been burning off. My THIR was great to keep out the smoke and dust.
WHERE DO I GET IT?
I hope that is how you will roll!
* Disclaimer- I started wearing THIRbands a few years ago because I loved the concept. I soon became an ambassador for the brand, and wanted to find a way to bring the bands to Australia. This saw the birth of THIR Australia with my partner Tegyn.
2014 Australian Trail Champion, Kellie Emmerson is a She Science Ambassador and serial ultra-marathon podium finisher. Her trail running takes her all over the world, including France this year as she represents Australia at the World Trail Champs. Kellie fuels her passion for all things fitness as a 2XU Run Coach and Body Pump instructor. Professionally she works as an Occupational Therapist and is continuing her education in this field as a Master’s student. Follow Kellie on facebook and instragram.
Visit our full website at www.SheScience.com.au
You can find us on facebook www.facebook.com/SheScience
Or on instagram www.instagram.com/SheScience